As I said in my very first post, I am a housewife.
Almost as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a housewife. I mean, when I was like 13, I wanted to be a vet or a horse trainer, but that’s beside the point. When I actually started contemplating what I wanted to do in life and where I wanted to go, it always came back to the fact that I wanted to stay at home, take care of my husband and eventually, my kids.
Well, the opportunity came for me to fulfill my dream much sooner than I thought it would.
shortly after we got married I was still working at Wal-Mart, but I had approached them about changing my work hours to accommodate a bus schedule, but they were unwilling to work with me. Which is unfortunate as I am not able to drive due to my vision loss.
So, after discussing the whole situation with Dylan, we decided that it was time for me to move on from that chapter of my life.
So that’s where my housewife journey began! I was so excited to start doing what I felt I was meant to do!
But, never. Not in a million years, did I imagine that doing what I love would be SO hard!
I know how strange that must sound. I mean all I do is stay at home and do whatever I want, right? Right? Well it would seem that life would be that simple, but the fact is, being a housewife is really hard!
It’s not the work itself that I’m talking about here. Aside from doing dishes, which is my least favourite task, I really quite enjoy puttering about the house cleaning, tidying, and making food for my amazing husband. The part that I find hard, is that I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to stay motivated to do the things that I love.
I’ll admit, that there are definitely days when there isn’t a ton to do around the house. But there is ALWAYS something to do. But all too often, on the days where there isn’t a whole lot of jobs to be done, I find myself sitting on my couch doing one of three things: sleeping, sitting on my phone, or watching tv. Sometimes all three! And if I spend one afternoon doing this, I find it hard to not repeat the same thing the next day.
And lately, I’ve found that more and more I’m sitting on the couch watching the time go by until Dylan gets home from work. Which is not ok! Of course there is nothing wrong with taking a day to just relax and have fun, but it’s not acceptable to just sit and waste the entire day on electronics!!
So over the last week, I’ve been mulling over what to do about my issue of laziness. I started thinking about all the things that I still want to accomplish in life, and aside from all the work that I need to be doing in a week, what kind of hobbies I could get into, so that when I am bored during the day, I will have something to fall back on!
So I made a list of a few things to choose from when boredom strikes!
- Exercising! I’ve been wanting to get back into regularly exercising and taking care of my body.
- Reading! I have a rather large pile of books that I’ve been meaning to read but have always made some excuse about why I didn’t have time to read.
- Knitting! I LOVE knitting!! and it only seems appropriate to work on something that I love, especially since I have so many projects to finish!
- Education! For months I’ve been contemplating going back to school, so I’ve been researching several different certificate programs that I’m hopefully going to take later in the year!
- Blogging! I’ve really enjoyed writing and sharing my journey with people via this blog, so I really hope to get more involved in writing posts and keeping you all up to date!
- Baking! Since I was about 15 I have loved baking! It’s a great pass-time, and the benefits of baking is that there are tasty things to eat at the end! Plus, I’ve been wanting to experiment more with recipes!
On top of all these hobbies, to distract me from the temptations of technology, I’m going to try my best to make lists of the tasks that I need to complete around the house on a daily and weekly basis. Hopefully this will keep me more on track!
So, I have my work cut out for me, that’s for sure! But I wanted to share some things that I’ve been struggling with for the past few weeks, and I wanted to just share some of my hopes for the future, in order to keep myself accountable and to be more effective in fulfilling my dreams of being a great housewife!
I’ll try to keep you all posted on my progress!