So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I am going to be in two weddings this spring/summer, and the first one is coming up in less than two weeks!!
About a week ago the bridesmaids put together a fabulous bachelorette for the bride-to-be, which involved belly dancing, a guessing game involving underwear, lingerie, and, of course, tons of food!
A few of those who attended the party were asked to bring either an appetizer or a dessert, and I was among those asked!
I chose to bring a dessert, mostly because I really enjoy baking, but also because I found really cute bra and underwear cookies on Pinterest that I really wanted to make! And someone had made them for my bachelorette and I wanted to give them a shot!
So, I decided that I would share the process of making these delightful cookies with you!
I got the recipe for the sugar cookies off of Pinterest, but I did a bit of tweaking to fit my particular needs! Here’s the link to the original recipe http://www.cathyzielske.com/2015/02/foodie-cookie-recipe.html
Here is my take on the recipe:
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla
My version of the preparation instructions:
- Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer
- Add egg and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- With mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients to the wet.
- Mix until dough forms.
- Roll dough into ball, cover with plastic wrap, and store in fridge overnight.
The Next Day…
- Take dough out of fridge AT LEAST 30 minutes prior to rolling! I took mine out 30 minutes beforehand but it was still quite hard to work with.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Once dough is warm enough to work with, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. (Sometimes my dough got a bit thin, which is OK if you like crispy cookies but if you want soft and puffy ones, try to keep the dough a bit thicker)
- Cut your cookies into desired shape. I used a heart, but obviously you can use whatever shape you like!
- Baking: In the original recipe it is suggested that you bake the cookies on the top rack for about 7 minutes. I tried this on my first batch but found that the cookies were unevenly baked. So for my particular oven, I had to bake them for 11 minutes in total; 8 minutes on the top rack and 3 minutes on the middle rack. But again, baking times totally depend on your oven
- Cool completely before decorating
After baking the cookies, I searched a few images of bra/underwear cookies to use as a reference, but, really, it was pretty self-explanatory! For decorating, I used Wilton Sparkle Gel in red and pink and Wilton Cookie Icing in light pink. Of course, use whatever colours suit you best! I originally wanted to use white cookie icing, but accidentally grabbed the light pink instead! Oh well, the end result was still pretty great! (in my opinion) and I had a really fun time making them!
Just a quick note about the gel… I thought that the gel would solidify after a few minutes, but sadly things didn’t work out that way. It took all night for the gel to set, so transporting the cookies was a bit of a pain. But, again, the end result of using the sparkly gel was quite pretty, though I don’t think I will use it again.
Taadaa! Here is what the final product looks like! Please don’t judge too harshly, I’m most certainly not an artist, and I realize that my cookies aren’t quite Pinterest worthy, but I was just happy that they weren’t a total fail!
Hope you enjoy!